X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
THE FOUNDATION OF AN AMAZING JOURNEY
Our goal at X is to make the world a radically better place. In order to do that we seek fresh unexpected perspectives, from different fields, and that’s why we’re excited about you.
Life here isn’t easy, but it’s fun. We’re trying to build things most people can’t even imagine, and we’re doing it with the hope of making a huge, positive impact on the world. You’ll be embedded into a moonshot project, where you’ll partner with team members to solve key challenges.
This isn’t your ordinary internship. You’ll be positively challenged and pushed professionally, in ways that you may have never experienced. If this excites you - keep reading.
ABOUT THE TEAM:
We are an early stage X moonshot attempting to significantly increase the sophistication of plant engineering experiments. We aim to enable a new era of agriculture - one that will not only feed the world, but also be energy, nitrogen, water, and land-use efficient, sequester carbon, and create new high-impact applications for plant-based products.
Note that early stage X projects function like startups. There will be significant ambiguity, shifting priorities, occasional sprints towards deadlines, but also a team atmosphere, dedicated team lead, and big vision.
DURING YOUR INTERNSHIP YOU CAN EXPECT:
- To be placed on one of our confidential or public X projects
- To get paid competitively and with Google benefits
- To be part of a lively community of other Interns and Residents
- To addend colloquium and discussions with team leads from across Google, DeepMind and external organizations
- Due to Covid-19, internships are held remotely through 2021
- Laptops and equipment will be provided
- Duration: Internship will be 12-14 weeks and Residency will be a flexible 4 mo. to 1 year program based on project team needs and your availability.
- Intern: Must be enrolled in an Undergraduate or Master's program. Must have availability to start in June/July 2021
- Resident: Must be enrolled in a PhD program. Must have availability to start in February/March 2021
WHAT YOU'LL BE WORKING ON:
- Collaborating with confidential X Project team to applying AI to their project's mission
- Understanding the project’s challenges
- Suggesting a number of ways in which AI can apply to those challenges
- Prototyping solutions
- Work closely with team members to implement solutions
- Learning Moonshot thinking, attending colloquium and tech talks
- Engaging with the X Internship community during the program
- Having fun!
- Currently enrolled in an Undergrad, Master’s or PhD program in a quantitative discipline such as Machine Learning, Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Statistics, or Physics. You should not be planning to graduate or leave your academic program during the residency
- Experience with one or more machine learning frameworks, such as TensorFlow, JAX, or PyTorch
- Fluency with Python and Linux operating systems
- Ability to dedicate 100% of your time to the project for 4-6 months, starting in February-March and June-July.
- Perseverance, positive attitude, and a strong desire to improve the world through technology
- Knowledge of molecular, systems, or plant biology
- Knowledge of breeding, or the agricultural system
- Experience with interpretable machine learning techniques, generative models, and Bayesian optimization
- Practical experience with applying machine learning on scientific data
- Track record of publications in major machine learning conferences or relevant scientific journals
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.