X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
About the team:
Tidal is a team at X working on a moonshot to protect the ocean and preserve its ability to support life and help feed humanity, sustainably. Our initial area of focus is on developing technologies that bring greater visibility and understanding of what’s happening under the water.
About the Role:
We are a growing team of X'ers who are developing and manufacturing new hardware designed for marine applications. As a Supplier Quality Engineer, you will be responsible for assessing suppliers manufacturing processing and communicating key compliance requirements, review and sign off procedures at supplier side.
You will manage and audit our suppliers in their process of quality control as well as outgoing quality methods. You will track vendor quality issues, perform on site supplier visits for root cause analysis, and corrective action process for the supplier before the parts reach our line for build.
Be able to organize incoming quality data from the supplier as we receive the components. Support supplier testing traceability and coordinate IQC material receiving with our contract manufacturer.
You will work closely with manufacturing process engineers and also with the manufacture team to keep the vendor partner updated regarding implementation of engineering design changes and updated key testing requirements. Your work is critical as we scale up to build for mass production.
How you will make 10x impact (aka Responsibilities):
- Act as our primary interface between multiple suppliers with regards to quality concerns, MRB issues and other quality related efforts
- Work with vendors to communicate key testing requirements from the engineering and manufacturing team
- Manage SCAR - supplier corrective action request and ensure that corrections to known issues are taking place
- Audit vendors for key compliance requirements, review and sign off procedures at the supplier side and work with our vendors on either yield or MRB issues
- Coordinate with the OQC test results into our system as well as IQC test data from our CM so that we have full part level traceability of quality concerns for key components
- Establish metrics for Quality data with vendors, implement change upstream supplier when issues arise
- Track and communicate quality issues after parts receipt and coordinate with procurement to reach resolution for any quality issues found on the line
- Work closely with manufacturing quality engineer to help escalate issues back to supplier and root cause and manage/ implement of fixes at the supplier side
- Review of engineering requirements and communicating the requirements for vendors
What you should have:
- BS degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Chemical, Materials Science or Physical Sciences
- 5+ years of relevant work experience
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Experience with root cause analysis techniques and methods with mature production and quality systems
- Outstanding problem solving and analytical skills
- Post-Covid available for travel and monitor implementation of quality systems at our supplier as well as enabling process improvements at supplier side
It would be great if you also had these:
- 10+ years of relevant work experience
- Previous procurement experience
- American Society for Quality certification (CQE, CQM, CRE, or CQA).
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.