X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
We are the Everyday Robot Project at X, a moonshot that brings together people with varied skill sets and backgrounds to build a future where robots can be as helpful to people in the physical world as computers now are in the virtual world. We believe that the future of robotics and AI can unfold in a way that has lasting positive impact in our everyday lives and our wider communities. Our mission is to build learning robots that help people everyday and everywhere live better lives. Creating robots that can learn in different ways involves navigating some of the hardest challenges in robotics today. It’s an ambiguous and iterative process, so we’ve worked hard to create a team environment where collaboration and creativity can flourish, and where people always feel comfortable bringing their unique perspectives and expertise to the table.
The Everyday Robot Project @ X is looking for Mechanical Engineering interns for 2021. Meet our team and learn more about our moonshot.
We are expecting a 12-16 week internship that will be fully remote. We are anticipating start dates in May and June.
What You Will Learn
- Mechanical/electrical design for experimentation studies
- Experimental design and analysis of results
- Product development
- Cross-disciplinary teamwork
- Robotic Systems
- Design, prototype, test, make improvements on robotic subsystem
- Monitor diagnostic test results for failures and anomalies
- Organize and analyze data to drive experimental design decisions
- Communication: Design review and technical documentation
- Currently enrolled in an academic program and be working toward completing an Associates, Bachelors or Masters degree
- Analytical mindset
- Electromechanical design
- CAD experience (Solidworks)
- Demonstrated contributions to projects in professional tech fields, Engineering clubs, or rigorous personal projects
- Applied knowledge in electronics, motors, actuators, etc.
- Familiarity with programming, matlab, or similar
- Interest in robotics
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.