X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
We are the Everyday Robot Project at X, a moonshot that brings together people with varied skill sets and backgrounds to build a future where robots can be as helpful to people in the physical world as computers now are in the virtual world. We believe that the future of robotics and AI can unfold in a way that has lasting positive impact in our everyday lives and our wider communities. Our mission is to build learning robots that help people everyday and everywhere live better lives. Creating robots that can learn in different ways involves navigating some of the hardest challenges in robotics today. It’s an ambiguous and iterative process, so we’ve worked hard to create a team environment where collaboration and creativity can flourish, and where people always feel comfortable bringing their unique perspectives and expertise to the table.
The Everyday Robot Project @ X is looking for a Tech for good intern for 2021. This intern will work inside the Everyday Robots Impact Lab, which aims to create a platform to bring to life responsible innovation experiments across the Everyday Robot Project. Our mission is to transform ideas into action, spark alternative thinking, and cultivate narratives that create lasting positive change for our team, our technology, and our stakeholder communities.
This internship will last 12-16 weeks and will be fully remote.
What You Will Learn
- How to operationalize responsible innovation and society-centered design in a growing and purpose-driven tech team
- The “inner workings” of cutting-edge robotics technology, the stakeholder ecosystem impacted by that technology, and the relevant public policy challenges
- How to guide an idea from theory to launch on a cross-functional team working on complex technical and social challenges
- How to craft compelling narratives about technology and impact to inspire and inform
- Collaborate with our team and advisors on launching a working prototype of a retraining/upskilling model
- Deliver feasibility and implementation plans for other “impact experiments” in the pipeline, with the opportunity to pitch your own
- Research responsible innovation best practices, and operationalize your findings in the context of our team’s ongoing processes and experiments
- Support our product marketing portfolio, and efforts related to internal and external communications
- Currently enrolled in an academic program and be working toward completing an Associates, Bachelors, or Masters degree
- Mission-driven systems thinker with a demonstrated ability to collaborate across a variety of stakeholder groups
- Self-starter with proven strategic thinking skills, a bias toward action, and the ability to navigate an ambiguous environment
- Strong leadership, storytelling, and communication skills
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.