X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
About the team:
You will join a team of a very early stage team exploring how a mix of new fabrics, robotics and AI/ML might help people with mobility challenges and improve quality of life for hundreds of millions of people. The team is multi-disciplinary, bringing together expertise in machine learning, biomechanics, robotics and soft goods. The project will be in a prototyping phase, rapidly iterating and implementing ideas to progressively de-risk the idea from a technical perspective.
About the role:
In this role, you will own the embedded software and micro-controllers that enable us to experiment with assisting human movement in real time. You will regularly collaborate with others to solve hard technical challenges, some of which have never been solved before. You should excel at and enjoy contributing high-impact code, as well as being able to guide other team members.
This is an opportunity to leverage Google’s talent, infrastructure, and reach to create a product that could help billions of people. Given the early stage of this project, there will be significant ambiguity but the opportunity to show considerable impact. This is an extremely dynamic team and requires high cross-functional communication, organization, and planning.
- Write and improve our motor drivers and other embedded code
- Implementing heuristic and ML-based control approaches on-device with high bandwidth
- Understand risks and opportunities in this work and communicate them across the team
What you should have:
Having as many of these specific qualifications is a plus, but transferable skills/experiences from other adjacent domains may be equally valuable, we care more about who you are than what you’ve done.
- Degree in a STEM field such as CS, Engineering or Robotics
- Qualifications and/or experience in embedded systems, microcontrollers, ROS, RTOS or similar
- Excellence in C++ and Python
- Strong entrepreneurial traits, especially persistence and resourcefulness
- Strong generalist SWE skills, with an ability to to contribute and collaborate across a variety of workstreams as the needs of the project evolve
- Empathy, customer focus and a strong passion for impact
You should be prepared to:
- Be biased to action and will “roll up your sleeves”. Thrive in ambiguity and able to manage your own work
- Drive impact, fall in love with problems, not solutions. Fail often, embrace humility.
- Engineer on the edge of reasonableness, with insufficient resources; a rag-tag crew of scientists, generalists, operating with unrealistic expectations and a low probability of success.
- Be a source of joy, inspiration and creativity to the team. Help us win the Great Nerfgun War of 2022.
- Put up with the project lead’s lame sense of humour and bad punning.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.