X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
We are the Everyday Robot Project at X, a moonshot that brings together people with varied skill sets and backgrounds to build a future where robots can be as helpful to people in the physical world as computers now are in the virtual world. We believe that the future of robotics and AI can unfold in a way that has lasting positive impact in our everyday lives and our wider communities. Our mission is to build learning robots that help people everyday and everywhere live better lives. Creating robots that can learn in different ways involves navigating some of the hardest challenges in robotics today. It’s an ambiguous and iterative process, so we’ve worked hard to create a team environment where collaboration and creativity can flourish, and where people always feel comfortable bringing their unique perspectives and expertise to the table.
The Everyday Robot Project @ X is looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer. Meet our team and learn more about our moonshot.
- Lead the development of a robotic subsystem from concept through manufacturing
- Ensure the success of our learning robots through high quality designs
- Collaborate across the team and with external partners to bring Everyday Robots to life
- Manage the entire product design lifecycle of a robotic subassembly, including requirements gathering, concept generation, detailed design and analysis, validation testing, cross-functional reviews and collaboration, and manufacturing release and support
- Perform thorough engineering analysis to develop reliable designs for complex robotic systems
- Work cross-functionally with other engineers and engineering disciplines to deliver an end to end robotic system
- Design parts and assemblies for volume manufacturing including plastic parts, sheet metal, and cast metal, GD&T, and assembly tolerance analysis
- Collaborate with vendors on design and development including engineering, analysis, manufacturing and assembly
- Use PLM systems to manage the lifecycle of your designs
- Experience using physics and mechanical engineering analysis for part and system design including stress, and thermal analyses
- Product design experience in industry including experience across multiple product types and lifecycles from concept through manufacturing
- Experience designing electro-mechanical systems, moving parts, actuation and sensors
- CAD experience and experience designing parts and systems for manufacturing (e.g. sheet metal, injection molding, die casting, extrusion)
- Project management skills organizing and leading cross-functional teams
- Strong growth mindset and collaborative way of working
- Experience across multiple projects leading cross-functional teams to design, analyze and develop electro-mechanical systems
- Proficiency with SolidWorks and SolidWorks simulation
- Experience working with vendors and Contract Manufacturers to support design, analysis and manufacturing
- Experience developing and shipping complex mechatronic systems in volume
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.