X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
About our Team and this Role:
Our team at Mineral, within X, is developing breakthrough technology for the global agriculture industry, with a particular focus on sustainability. We are looking for someone to help us drive field operations by teaming with leadership and cross-functional teams to execute on our vision through a culture that drives both purpose and profit. This person will help accelerate the trajectory of our moonshot, and is equally comfortable engaging with partners, field operators, and across the internal team. The Field Operations Manager is expected to understand and sweat the details, but be able to prioritize the most important issues, and be a credible representative of our organization.
How you will make an impact:
- Drive day-to-day field operations, planning, and project management
- Work with a cross-functional team of hardware / software engineers, research scientists, and partner managers to execute on project commitments
- Coordinate cross-project operations, anticipating and mitigating risks, organizing and managing the deployment and day-to-day operation of a fleet of equipment and field operators
- Develop a set of tools for planning, analysis, and documentation of a global field operation, to include vendor management, fleet optimization, and workforce planning
What you should have:
- BA/BS Degree (or equivalent professional experience)
- 7 - 10 years of relevant experience (e.g. project management, operations / fleet management, field support, managing a distributed team)
- Demonstrated success working in a time sensitive and deadline-oriented environment
- Demonstrated ability to engage with both internal and external stakeholders at all levels of experience
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally (20%+)
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, prioritize, and multi-task in ambiguous environments
It would be great if you also had these:
- Experience leading a team and / or working with external vendors
- Engineering background, or 2-3 years experience working cross-functionally with engineers
- Strong interpersonal skills, communication both written and spoken, and results oriented
- Experience iterating early-stage products and working in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent analytical, quantitative reasoning, problem solving, creativity and strategic skills
- Superior presentation skills - both written and verbal.
- Experience in working with global and cross-functional internal and external teams
- Understanding of the food production ecosystem, and / or background working in sustainability or agriculture
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.