X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
About the team:
We are a moonshot to protect the ocean and feed humanity sustainably. Our initial area of focus is on developing technologies that bring greater visibility and understanding of what’s happening under the water.
About the Role:
We are a growing team of Xers who are developing and manufacturing new electromechanical hardware designed for outdoor marine applications. As a manufacturing quality engineer, you will be responsible for implementing and monitoring manufacturing processes and data analysis to ensure high manufacturing yield and out of box quality. You will optimize in process quality control as well as outgoing quality methods. You will track manufacturing methods for continuous improvement. You will work closely with manufacturing process engineers and also with the design team to keep the process under control and to implement engineering design changes. Your work is critical as we scale up the manufacturing capability.
How you will make 10X impact:
- Design, develop and implement new quality plans or improvements to existing processes, tooling and equipment. Create and complete PFMEA for each hardware module.
- Implement in-process quality control inspection and measurements, as well as EOL quality checklists.
- Establish dashboards and metrics, and use a data-driven approach to problem identification and resolution. Measure CPKs, determine test limits, implement targeted capability improvements.
- Run weekly yield and quality meetings with Contract Manufacturer. Create and manage bugs for each issue. Complete root cause analysis and manage implementation of design or manufacturing fixes.
What you should have:
- BS degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Chemical, Materials Science or Physical Sciences
- 5+ years of experience in a manufacturing quality role
- Experience launching new products at Contract Manufacturers (and/or Original Design Manufacturers).
- Experience with electro-mechanical systems, injection molding, optics, machining and casting processes.
- Experience setting up SPC, CP and CPK. Experience with JMP or Minitab.
- In the future, some travel required to monitor and implement quality systems at upstream suppliers.
It would be great if you also had these:
- MS or PhD engineering degree or equivalent experience.
- 10 years of relevant work experience, including experience working with optical system assembly.
- Six Sigma Green/Black Belt certification and lean manufacturing.
- American Society for Quality certification (CQE, CQM, CRE, or CQA).
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.