X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
About the Project & Team
Project Mineral (https://x.company/projects/mineral/) is developing breakthrough technology for the global agriculture industry, with a particular focus on sustainability. Our team is seeking an Electrical Engineer to play a key role in enabling mass adoption of sustainable and regenerative agriculture practices through techniques in computational agriculture.
You will be working on a small, nimble, cross functional team. You will work on hardware design, electrical engineering, and firmware development efforts, leveraging Alphabet infrastructure and X’s multidisciplinary innovation approach. You will be contributing to designing and building the hardware platform to collect and classify relevant field data.
What makes this role unique
- Potential opportunity to grow a product from early stage to a mature project
- The opportunity to work in a highly collaborative environment
- The chance to participate in creating and prioritizing the technical roadmap for the project
How you will make an 10X Impact:
- Develop and troubleshoot embedded hardware alongside software, mechanical engineering, and operations teams
- Guide hardware strategy from prototype to production (board design, physical layout, documentation, and system integration)
- Design and document system architecture, including schematic capture and PCB design
- Interface with contract manufacturer for hardware fabrication, assembly, and production
- Drive testing, quality control, and integration of the hardware system to validate selection of product features
- Communicate methods and results to the broader team
What you should have:
- BSc/MSc in Electrical Engineering, or similar technical field
- 5+ years of professional electrical and embedded engineering experience
- Applied knowledge of analog and digital electronics
- Experience with PCB layout, design and fabrication, including board bring-up, assembly, QA, and testing to factory process / manufacturing.
- Experience working with contract manufacturers and documenting hardware specifications, including safety and risk analyses
- Comfortable using test equipment (oscilloscopes, logic analyzers...)
- Self-driven, analytical problem solver and risk taker, comfortable working in ambiguous environments
- Strong written and verbal presentation skills
It would be great if you also had these:
- Proficient in Python and C/C++ in embedded environment, and in embedded interface technologies (USB, I2C…)
- Experience handling low latency data communication and embedded software
- Experience with industrial equipment, off-road, or electric vehicles (outdoor rated, UL compliant, high voltage and high current, and safety systems)
- Knowledge about data processing and machine learning (ML) components / algorithms
- Experience in a startup environment
- Experience with farming and agriculture
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.