X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
About the Team:
Project Mineral (https://x.company/projects/mineral/) is developing breakthrough technology for the global agriculture industry, with a particular focus on sustainability. Our team is seeking a Hardware Engineer to play a key role in enabling mass adoption of sustainable and regenerative agriculture practices through techniques in computational agriculture.
You will be working on a small, nimble, cross functional team. You will work on hardware design, electrical engineering, and firmware development efforts, leveraging Alphabet infrastructure and X’s multidisciplinary innovation approach. You will be contributing to designing and building the hardware platform to collect and classify relevant field data.
What makes this role unique:
- Potential opportunity to grow a product from early stage to a mature project
- The opportunity to work in a highly collaborative environment
- The chance to participate in creating and prioritizing the technical roadmap for the project
How you will make an Impact:
- Iterate on hardware prototypes at different stages of production and select best manufacturing techniques depending on project
- Develop and fabricate hardware components and assemblies in a wide variety of materials (polymers, metals, composites, etc.)
- Work closely with cross-functional engineering teams to create proof of concept prototypes on tight timelines
- Manage job queue, acquire material and tools, manage PO’s and vendors on tight deadlines
- Interface with contract manufacturer for hardware fabrication, assembly, and production
- Drive testing, quality control, and integration of the hardware system to validate selection of product features
- Communicate methods and results to the broader team
What you should have:
- BSc/MSc in robotics, mechatronics, electrical, or mechanical engineering or similar field
- 5+ years of professional engineering experience
- Proficient in CAD packages (SolidWorks, Rhino, Alias, Pro E, NX, Inventor)
- Applied knowledge of analog and digital fabrication techniques
- Experience working with contract manufacturers and documenting hardware specifications
- Knowledge of materials and design for manufacturing (DFM) processes
- Ability to rapidly acquire expertise in unfamiliar subject areas and build new fabrication skills
- Self driven analytical problem solver, comfortable working in ambiguous environments
- Strong written and verbal presentation skills
It would be great if you also had these:
- Experience with a wide range of subject areas, materials and fabrication techniques (power electronics, composites, textiles, robotics, sensors, motion control, thermal dynamics)
- Experience with electric vehicles and subsystems: data capture, compute, storage, motor control, remote control, logging, batteries, power management, localization, safety systems
- Comfortable using test equipment (oscilloscopes, logic analyzers...)
- Experience in a startup environments
- Experience with farming and agricultural production / breeding
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.