X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
We are looking for an Agronomist to join our growing team to address problems in computational agriculture.
How you will make an Impact:
- Design and coordinate field experiments to test the validity of a hypothesis taking pertinent drivers into consideration
- Design and coordinate ground-truth data collection campaigns on agronomic practices, soil properties, and plant phenotypes
- Work closely with software engineers & data scientists to incorporate agricultural production models into machine learning and deep learning frameworks
- Work with cross-functional internal / external stakeholders including Data Science, Engineering and Product to support a broad spectrum of agronomy experiments.
You should have these:
- Masters degree in Agronomy / Soil Science or a related field
- Experience with designing & running field experiments - setting protocols to evaluate hypotheses, characterising, sampling and adjusting for environmental conditions (e.g. soil, position, climate) and measuring impacts on outcomes of interest (plant tissue sample collection etc)
- Experience analysing geospatial data using Python / R as well as QGIS
- Experience running agricultural models such as APSIM, DSSAT, or DNDC at scale
- Demonstrated ability to self-manage, take initiative, problem-solve, and navigate through ambiguity.
It would be great if you also had these:
- PhD degree in Agronomy / Soil Science or related field
- Experience extending agricultural production models such as APSIM, DSSAT, or DNDC for row-crops
- Experience with quantitative genetics for crop breeding
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.