X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the Team:
We are a team of computational and experimental scientists dedicated to making a moonshot in the life sciences. We’re looking for a Biology Solutions Engineer to identify, scope, build, and deliver solutions to our customers. This includes aspects of data science and scientific modeling.
About the Role:
The ideal team member will demonstrate scrappiness, creativity, and drive to “make it happen” by delivering customized solutions that meet customer needs. They are equally effective in a customer meeting as they are working with our models and large data sets. They will use their strong collaboration and communication skills to work closely with customers and with our technical team to inform and prioritize future product features. This teammate will help us keep our finger on the pulse of the real-world by ensuring we are continually adding value to our customers. They will thrive in an organization that rapidly iterates, evolves and leans into ambiguity.
If this job description excites you and you think you would thrive in this environment, please apply.
HOW YOU WILL MAKE 10X IMPACT:
Activities expected of this hire will include but are not limited to:
- Partner closely with customers to deeply understand their needs. Design and deliver customized solutions leveraging strong understanding of data science, scientific modeling, and molecular and cell biology.
- Work with large, complex biological data sets within existing models. Conduct end-to-end analysis that includes data gathering and requirements specification, processing, analysis, ongoing deliverables, and presentations.
- Build and prototype analysis pipelines iteratively to provide insights at scale. Develop comprehensive understanding of customer data structures and metrics.
- Interact cross-functionally with a wide variety of people and teams. Work closely with scientists, engineers, and product managers to inform and prioritize new product features.
- Make business recommendations with effective presentations of findings/insights at multiple levels of stakeholders through visual displays of quantitative information.
WHAT YOU SHOULD HAVE:
- PhD degree in a relevant field (e.g. Computational Biology, Chemical Engineering, Metabolic Engineering, Systems Biology) or equivalent practical experience.
- Knowledge of molecular biology and cell biology.
- Experience with data analysis and programming languages (such as Python or C++).
- Experience troubleshooting and translating technical concepts and solutions to non-technical and executive audiences.
- Excellent communication skills and aptitude for working with cross-functional teams.
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience.
IT WOULD BE GREAT IF YOU ALSO HAD THESE:
- Prior experience in a customer-facing or stakeholder-facing role, with strong results working with a variety of different types of customers, engineers, and business people.
- Experience identifying business needs, defining, and building technical solutions to address business requirements in a startup environment.
- Experience designing and building scalable and robust data pipelines.
- Excellent communication and project management skills, with a track record of handling multiple customers and streams of work.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.