X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
About the Team:
We are the Everyday Robot Project at X, a moonshot that brings together people with varied skill sets and backgrounds to build a future where robots can be as helpful to people in the physical world as computers now are in the virtual world. We believe that the future of robotics and AI can unfold in a way that has lasting positive impact in our everyday lives and our wider communities. Our mission is to build learning robots that help people everyday and everywhere live better lives. Creating robots that can learn in different ways involves navigating some of the hardest challenges in robotics today. It’s an ambiguous and iterative process, so we’ve worked hard to create a team environment where collaboration and creativity can flourish, and where people always feel comfortable bringing their unique perspectives and expertise to the table.
About the Role:
We’re looking for a power electronics engineer to work with a small, focused and fast paced team in the design and implementation of all power systems involved in the Everyday Robot Project.
The Opportunity for you:
- Own and execute on a power system architecture for a new robot design
- Debug and failure analysis of power related issues with the robots
- Partner with Vendor on battery design
What you should have:
- Electrical engineering or similar background (BS and 5 years experience, or equivalent)
- Power electronics design experience
- Proficiency in power system and power electronic modeling tools.
- Good communication and time management skills, demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally, with technical and non-technical collaborators
- Willingness to pick up and improve on unfamiliar analysis tools
- An interest in working on a small, fast paced team where a variety of skills will need to be applied day to day, and in which new skills will constantly need to be learned.
It would be great if you also had these:
- Previous work on battery design
- Passion for robotics
- Ability to create prototype-level code in Python or similar.
- Experience with EMI solutions
- Proficiency in the NPI process and experience shipping product
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.