X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
About the Team
We are the Everyday Robot Project at X, a moonshot that brings together people with varied skill sets and backgrounds to build a future where robots can be as helpful to people in the physical world as computers now are in the virtual world. We believe that the future of robotics and AI can unfold in a way that has lasting positive impact in our everyday lives and our wider communities. Our mission is to build learning robots that help people everyday and everywhere live better lives. Creating robots that can learn in different ways involves navigating some of the hardest challenges in robotics today. It’s an ambiguous and iterative process, so we’ve worked hard to create a team environment where collaboration and creativity can flourish, and where people always feel comfortable bringing their unique perspectives and expertise to the table.
How you can make 10x impact:
- Contribute to a solid platform for robot software development
- Integrate and characterize cameras and other sensors
- Develop real-time software to communicate with embedded boards
- Develop integration and reliability test suites
What you should have:
- Defining and solving ambiguous problems using critical thinking skills
- Experience programming in a low level language, such as C/C++
- Experience building and deploying complex systems in a production environment
- Enjoys collaborating with teammates on difficult problems
It would be great if you also had these:
- Experience with threading/locks/synchronization in a real-time environment
- Experience with enterprise software development tools and infrastructure
- Experience in networking (Ethernet, Wifi, Cellular, …)
- Experience in distributed systems
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.