X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the Team:
Sandbox@Alphabet is a team of scientists and engineers within Alphabet exploring the intersection of physics and artificial intelligence with projects meant to facilitate scientific breakthroughs. They pursue near-term impact through rapid prototyping of quantum-inspired platforms that can be deployed by enterprises to solve real-world business problems. Sandbox aims to fill the gap between today’s classical computing and the future commercialization of full-scale, fault tolerant quantum computers. Sandbox’s technology is largely software based and does not rely on quantum hardware to be deployed.
Sandbox has a unique team. Sandbox engineers, scientists and product managers cross pollinate between a range of fields --natural sciences, computer science, neuroscience, and mathematics--to solve big problems from a novel perspective. Our culture encourages thought leadership because no matter what role you have --- every member has the ability to do transformational work because of our start-up atmosphere. If you are passionate about working in an agile and collaborative environment and want to take an active role in nurturing Sandbox culture, this role is for you! Our goal is to continue to champion a culture where inclusion, education, service leadership and scientific breakthroughs are key components of our fast growing team.
About the Role:
As a senior engineer you’ll be joining a dynamic team with wide-ranging expertise to solve real-world problems by pushing the boundaries of high-performance computing. You’re excited to own the end-to-end technical development of massively distributed compute pipelines running state-of-the-art algorithms to address customer needs. Most importantly, you are passionate learning new skills, growing your understanding of advanced emerging technologies, and collaborating with colleagues to achieve breakthrough results.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Architecting a platform for next-generation distributed computing
- Building a suite of enterprise-grade SaaS applications to deliver that platform to customers
- Helping to shape the product vision
- Taking ownership of engineering efforts, including the establishment of best practices and a robust engineering culture for the team
- Rapidly building prototypes to evaluate feasibility
- Working cross-functionally with experts at X and Google
What you should have:
- BS/MS in Computer Science, or equivalent field
- 2+ years of experience building enterprise-grade SaaS applications with compute-heavy workloads
- Experience building infrastructures, frameworks, and tools to improve developer experience
- Experience architecting and building HPC-oriented distributed computing
- Familiarity with HPC and distributed computing paradigms
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to create strong working relationships with cross-functional teams.
It would be great if you also had these:
- Familiarity with data analysis / ML and numerical methods for scientific computing
- An interest hardware-accelerated computing, especially TPUs
- Experience with JAX, TensorFlow, or other machine learning frameworks
- Excitement for learning about a variety of technical fields, such computational Chemistry, Biology, Pharmaceutical Development, Cryptography, or Finance
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.