X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
About the Team:
This is a varied and unpredictable role, which requires being comfortable with uncertainty and constantly re-assessing how to support the needs of our diverse projects. If you like to know exactly what you’ll be working on tomorrow or next quarter, it’s probably not for you. But if you enjoy entrepreneurial problem-solving, if you like working in markets that have yet to be invented, as well as rolling up your sleeves on implementation, if you thrive on creative chaos and can gently introduce a bit of rigor (but not too much to kill the spirit of innovation) - then this might just be the role for you.
About the Role:
In this role, you will lead strategic finance for a number of X projects, requiring you to partner with product, engineering, business development, and other cross-functional staff to help your teams make critical business decisions. The project will depend on you for business models, capital allocation and P&L statements. You will also partner with senior X executives to decide where and how X should place its bets. This includes participating in the company-wide capital allocation process. To succeed in this role, you should be an enthusiastic self-starter with a passion for innovation and a desire to scope, design, and implement improved processes to support growth.
How you will make 10X impact:
- Partner with project leaders to diligence and build new business models. Identify the levers and risks for these businesses and use them to drive strategic decisions. You will help ensure that X projects can become profitable businesses at scale.
- Help project General Managers develop their go-to-market strategies by partnering closely with product, legal and business development staff to create and close their first commercial agreements
- Support X executives on capital allocation decisions, including helping set budgets and strategic milestones for projects. Prepare scenarios and make investment recommendations.
- Work to de-risk other non-technical aspects of early-stage projects partnering with Business Development, Legal, Policy, Privacy, Marketing/PR, Operations, etc.
- For each of your projects, serve as an early-stage CFO: drive monthly, quarterly and annual financial planning cycles, create visibility into business performance, and ensure
What you should have:
- BA/BS degree in finance, economics, business, or technical field, or equivalent practical experience. CFA/MBA a plus.
- 4 years of relevant experience in management consulting, finance, investment banking, corporate development, startup finance, venture capital, or similar environment, including financial analysis and project management experience.
- alignment across the Alphabet Finance team
It would be great if you also had these:
- Ability to build business models from the ground up, based on independently-sourced research
- Thrive on ambiguity, setting own goals and effectively delivering to them in a very fast-changing environment
- Ability to influence without authority, working with technical and cross-functional teams who do not report into this role to get things done
- Database and reporting experience including proficiency in SQL across a standard commercial database platform (e.g Oracle, MySQL)
- Distinctive problem solving and analysis skills, combined with impeccable business judgment, leadership skills, and ability to communicate with a senior management team
- Attention to detail, project management, and organizational skills
- Working knowledge of capital allocation, corporate finance and basic accounting concepts
- Fast learner with capacity to learn about a wide-spread of different technologies & industries
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.