X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
About the Team:
We are a moonshot to protect the ocean and feed humanity sustainably. Our initial area of focus is on developing technologies that bring greater visibility and understanding of what’s happening under the water.
About the Role:
You will be the Tidal science team’s individual contributor technical lead and work cross-functionally across Product Management, UX, and other team leads.
How you will make 10X impact:
- Be an active engineer and technical lead on the project. You must be willing to get your hands dirty!
- Drafting technical and design documents, schematic designs, and prototyping
- Work with the engineering team across SWE, Computer Vision/Machine Learning, and statistical problems
- Drive key decisions on software architecture and technology roadmap: balancing longevity with rapid prototyping; assess and scope technical feasibility of possible new products
- Work to bring our current prototype to productization
- Work with UX, SWE, and PM to rapidly prototype hardware to speed up innovation
- Work with external partners to develop hardware and software for our product offerings
What you should have:
- 5 years of technical leadership experience in software engineering, scientific research, or statistical analysis
- Technical leadership experience of successfully building and scaling large scale software systems and teams
- Experimental design / laboratory protocol experience
- Experience with IoT telemetry protocols and managing a fleet of devices
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience as a Technical Lead or Technical Lead Manager working with a team of engineers in a rapid growth environment
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Experience with Applied Machine Learning
- Experience working with Google Cloud
- Experience with camera, audio, and environmental sensors
- Experience working in the start-up environment
- Willing / able to travel internationally (eventually)
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.