X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the Team:
X, the Moonshot Factory (an Alphabet company) is seeking a Senior Network Operations engineer to work as part of an operations team in the productizing and testing of network solutions and monitoring, troubleshooting, scaling operations of a Network Operations Center (NOC) for high-speed wireless backhaul data networks that our customers are deploying world wide. This is the Taara project, and this candidate will work in a dynamic environment with X engineers and technicians, customers and 3rd party network partners.
About the Role:
The Network Operations Engineer leads the NOC and performs technical analysis of system issues and outages as they occur across a multitude of wireless backhaul data networks. This individual then performs research to troubleshoot and resolve the issue or, depending upon complexity, escalates the issue to the engineering R&D team. The Network Operations engineer is responsible for researching, developing and documenting various mitigation strategies, effectively communicating in real-time with the customer to assure them that we are committed to resolving the immediate problem and must maintain current and thorough knowledge of the product technology and its significance to network operations. This individual must be able to prioritize remediation of issues in a complex environment with critical uptime requirements.
How you will make 10X impact:
- Devise novel network connectivity solutions to enable remote management and monitoring of wireless backhaul network equipment embedded in large scale networks within the constraints of customer’s network security policies
- Develop automation for test processes and success criteria for key network performance indicators and seamless integration into customers networks
- Coordinate field testing, monitoring and analysis of customer network systems
- Perform system administration tasks such as network/system troubleshooting, remote restart and bring-up of wireless backhaul equipment, and execution of various scripts
- Develop and document troubleshooting procedures, and train lower-level NOC team members in the execution of new procedures, including scenarios that involve network equipment from other vendors / 3rd parties
- Work with the NOC management team on the customer’s side to improve operational efficiency as the NOC scales operations to monitor increasing numbers of wireless backhaul networks worldwide
- Triage incidents escalated by lower-level NOC technicians
- Spin up and configure Linux-based virtual machines in Google Cloud Platform
- Write shell scripts and/or Python scripts to automate repetitive tasks
- Support multiple technical teams in 24x7 operational environments with high uptime requirements
What you should have:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in engineering, mathematics, computer science, or physics and
- 5+ years of relevant work experience
- Experience providing remote support using virtual network monitoring tools including Zabbix and Grafana
- Ability to recognize system performance anomalies from time-based data plots
- Extensive experience with Linux command line interface, shell scripts, Python scripts, crontab, and network configuration
- Fluency in networking fundamentals and communication protocols including TCP/IP, NAT, VPN, SNMP and gRPC
- Experience managing projects in Google Cloud Platform and familiarity with interconnecting public cloud and private networks
- Ability to think creatively to resolve problems in ambiguous situations
- Previous NOC experience
- Strong communication and problem solving skills with the ability to communicate clearly and calmly with customers and technical personnel in high-stress situations
It would be great if you also had:
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in engineering, mathematics, statistics, computer science, or physics
- Cisco/Juniper networking certifications or equivalent cloud/application certifications
- Experience establishing VPN tunnels between dissimilar network platforms
- Experience configuring Zabbix to efficiently support a large number of hosts
- Ability to manage mySQL and SQL databases
- Experience creating Grafana dashboards to display time-based data plots
- Fundamental understanding of IPv6 networking
- Fluency using Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Slides
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.